Thursday, March 19, 2015

Journal Entry 9: Alexander Techniques of the Soul (Post by Saturday at 5:00)

I've been thinking a lot about the mantra Cameron wants us to repeat to ourselves: treating myself as a precious object will make me stronger. That phrase challenges a lot of messages I was brought up believing about taking care not to be too egotistical, remembering it's not all about me, thinking of others first, and the like.

I'd like to think (and please weigh in if you feel I'm mistaken) that Cameron would support some version of all of these "be humble" messages. What she's battling--what she's challenging us to battle--is mistaking self-deprecation for humility. Believing that I'm not the center of all things is healthy. Believing my desires and needs should by default always be put on the back burner? That's unhealthy. It de-selfs me. It deforms my soul. It creates a feedback loop in which I become smaller and less brave because I treat myself as second-class and unworthy of attention, which makes me smaller and less brave, which inspires me to treat myself as... You get the picture.

I'm reminded of my (meager) training in the Alexander Technique, a philosophy of posture and movement used by actors and other artists. Among other insights, the Technique teaches that many of our aches and tensions stem less from acute injuries and more from a mistaken internal image of our own anatomy. One of Alexander's exercises involves having people draw their own skeletons and musculature. Then people compare their drawings to actual anatomical models. The point isn't to criticize drawing ability; it's to show people how many of the ways we unconsciously think we move and sit and stand--where the pressure is, where the bend happens, how the rotation works--don't line up with how our bones and ligaments and tendons and muscles actually function. We put strain on our bodies by trying to, for instance, "bend from the waist," when anatomically we bend from the hips.

A lot of the Alexander Technique, then, is about recognizing and correcting internalized misconceptions about our own bodies.

Similarly, Cameron's "precious object" advice seems to be about recognizing and correcting internalized misconceptions about our self-worth.

For this week, reflect on your own perception of your self worth, your abilities. How does your take on your abilities line up with reality? How do you know that? What do you find yourself saying to yourself that reinforces your self-image? How might you improve the messages you give to yourself?

Post by Saturday at 5:00. We'll talk on Monday.

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment